Thursday 6 March 2014

Secrets of My 2014 Prep Diet

Show Preparation Diet 2014

For this competition season, I changed a few things in my diet plan that I felt really transformed my body inside and out! I wanted to share a few things that I did differently this time around that I believe made a difference in my physique. Even if you are not a competitor, I think many of you will find some of these diet 'tweaks' interesting and helpful in every day Eating Clean plans!

14 weeks out- I decided to eliminate all artificial sweeteners from my diet. This included ANY supplement with sucralose or aspartame. The only thing that I allowed was gum! I switched my pre and post workout supplements to stevia sweetened only. I found this helped with water retention, bloating and I did not crave sweet, sugary foods as much either!

14-6 weeks out- I gradually cut down my serving size and amount of daily carb intake. I emphasize gradually because I did not want to shock my body's blood sugar levels. I started with having oatmeal, sweet potato, rice, vegetables and some berries or a banana to only sticking to veggies and sweet potato by the 6th week. I did this to slowly lean out. I kept my protein the same and increased my 'good' fats when carbs were lowest.

5-2 weeks out-I stayed with a low carb, high protein diet with good fats, but kept in my once a week cheat meals until 2 weeks out! I also cut out whey protein isolate and stuck with Vegan protein shakes. Being lactose intolerant I was only having whey isolate, but wanted to really tighten my abs the best I could!

I did a classic peak week for the week leading up to the show which is what usually works for me best. Tues-Thurs Carb depletion, water load, Friday start water depletion & Carb Load, Saturday (show day) Simple Carb Load, dehydrate.

Favourite New Foods/Supplements during this prep:

*Kaizen Vegan Protein (makes awesome protein ice cream for night snack!)
*Kaizen Natural Whey Isolate
*Rivalus Complx 5 pre-workout & PostRx post-workout
*coconut oil
*ground flaxseed
*unsweetened coconut milk
*homemade ground turkey or chicken 'cupcakes'
*homemade low-carb protein muffins

Hope that lends some 'secrets' out to those of you wondering what small changes you can make to help you towards your best physique! I really enjoyed this prep and didn't feel as if I 'deprived' myself through any of it. Balance is key, for both the mind and body <3

No comments:

Post a Comment