Monday 7 July 2014

Taking on my own Challenge: Choosing NOT to Compete

Why I'm taking on my own challenge...

In the past 4 years, I have competed in 12 fitness shows. This means I have ALWAYS had a show on my mind. I have either been in "intense show-prep" mode or "taking a little break to indulge" mode. Since I decided to prep for shows and began working out in a gym, I have not found my own version of a healthy balance.

I feel like it is my responsibility to take on this challenge of NOT competing for a full year to achieve my own version of what it means to have a healthy lifestyle and a diet that is balanced and maintainable. This is a risk for me because I do not have a specific 'plan' to follow. Any competitor can relate to this feeling of either following a strict plan of macro-nutrient intakes or just throwing caution to the wind and binging for a few weeks of the foods they have been deprived of for months. Neither of these are HEALTHY. So with that said, I have taken on this challenge for not only myself, but for those who ask me for advice about a healthy lifestyle. If I want to relate to others and believe in my own words of wisdom, then it's time to experience life as not just a fitness model, but as a healthy, happy and fit role model.

How will I do this????
  • incorporate variety into my diet-this means not get into food slumps, eat a variety of healthy foods, alternate high and low carb days
  • enjoy a cheat meal once a week
  • have fun with food & try new things
  • not be extreme with my diet choices-I do not label myself as paleo, vegan or vegetarian..I honestly use different supplements and eat ALL food groups
  • I will not fear change in my daily habits 
  • Above all, I will respect food as fuel and a way to nourish my body and energy needs
My Best advice I can give to others on taking this challenge is that a healthy & fit physique is a beautiful one :) No body composition is the 'right' one for your own personal health and when you you look and feel healthy, you will glow with confidence & energy for a better life!

Photo credit: Chris V. Linton

Here's to a year of personal growth in both mind and body...I hope you will all join me on this journey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment